JMU Baseball

JMU meets on the mound in a game earlier this season.

JMU baseball fell in a sweep this weekend against CAA rival Elon, losing 8-3 on the road Sunday. For only the second time this season, JMU played a series without producing a single win, falling to 2-4 against CAA teams.

Leading the Dukes on the mound was senior pitcher Joe Williams, who struggled in his seventh start of the season. In the closing game of the series, Williams threw four strikeouts, but allowed six hits, which led to four runs in his 3.1 innings pitched. His ERA has escalated over his past four games, from a 3.86 against High Point to a 6.28 on Sunday against the Phoenix.

Elon’s offense was on fire in the early innings with two booming home runs in the third and fourth innings by junior infielder Joe Satterfield and junior right fielder Ty Adcock, respectively. With a 4-2 lead, Elon scored three more runs in the fifth inning before capping off its day at the plate with one final home run from junior infielder Adam Spurlin.

JMU freshman outfielder David Willis belted two home runs of his own and scored all three runs for the Dukes on the afternoon. JMU was handled thoroughly by Elon sophomore pitcher Jared Weatherbee, who collected nine K’s and surrendered only six hits. On the mound, the Phoenix threw JMU a mean curve to close out the series and hand the Dukes their first CAA series loss of the season.

The Dukes are now 18-11 (2-4 CAA) and will be off tomorrow before playing at home Tuesday against the Richmond Spiders at 6 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.