JMU Softball

JMU softball opened up its conference play with a 13-2 win over Elon.

It was a light week for JMU athletics with only four sports competing in contests. Softball won the CAA championship and lacrosse’s season came to an end in a loss in the NCAA tournament. Here’s what you may have missed.

Softball (47-7, 20-1 CAA)

JMU softball won the 2019 CAA Softball Tournament Championship this week. The Dukes beat the College of Charleston on Wednesday and defeated Elon on Thursday and Friday to capture the program’s fifth conference title. They won each of the three games in five innings and outscored their opponents 33-1.

By winning the CAA Championship, JMU clinched an automatic bid into the 2019 NCAA Softball tournament. Its first opponent will be DePaul on Friday. The other teams in the region are Michigan and St Francis. First pitch is set for 2 p.m.

Baseball (30-21, 10-11 CAA)

JMU baseball split its four games this week. On Tuesday, the Dukes scored three runs in the top of the eighth to defeat George Mason 4-3. JMU’s pitchers worked around plenty of traffic on the basepaths, stranding 12 runners on base.

Over the weekend, the Dukes lost two out of three versus Northeastern. They lost the first game 6-1 on Friday before winning 9-8 in 11 innings Saturday. On Sunday, JMU lost 5-4 on a walk-off sacrifice fly.

The Dukes play four games this week. They have a home game versus Maryland on Tuesday and a weekend series at UNCW.

Lacrosse (16-4, 6-0 CAA)

JMU lacrosse’s season came to an end on Friday in a 10-9 overtime loss to Stony Brook in the NCAA tournament. It was the fewest goals the Dukes allowed in a loss this season, and redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Molly Dougherty saved 11 shots. Junior attacker Maddie McDaniel tied a career-high tally with four goals.

Senior attacker Hanna Haven added two goals in her final collegiate game. It was the last college contest for several other Dukes, including defenders Caroline Sdanowich and Natalie Fuccillo.

Track and field

JMU track and field competed in the ECAC Outdoor Championships on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, senior Sidra Morris broke her own school record in the hammer throw with a distance of 54.12-m. Senior Erica Jackson set a personal-best time in the 800-m run with a time of 2:08:76, which is the third-fastest time in school history.

On Sunday, sophomore Tally Lott picked up her first All-ECAC honors in the 200-m dash. The Dukes compete this week in the NCAA Preliminary Round in Jacksonville, Florida, from Thursday to Saturday.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.