JMU softball

JMU softball's senior catcher Alyssa Buddle slides into second in the Dukes game against Delaware.

There wasn’t much going on with JMU athletics this week, with only two sports competing in games. Softball began play in the 2019 Softball NCAA Tournament and baseball closed out its regular season.

Softball (49-8, 20-1 CAA)

JMU softball began the Ann Arbor Regional in the 2019 Softball NCAA Tournament this week. On Friday, the Dukes defeated DePaul 5-2. Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander picked up her 23rd win of the season. Saturday, they lost to the regional host Michigan, 1-0, in 12 innings. JMU wasted a strong performance from redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good in the loss, who was handed the loss despite pitching a complete game.

On Sunday, in a rematch versus DePaul, the Dukes shut out the Blue Demons 3-0. Alexander picked up her 24th win of the season and junior outfielder Kate Gordon hit a pair of solo home runs. With the victory, JMU got a rematch versus Michigan on Monday.

The Dukes shut out the Wolverines 3-0 thanks to solo home runs by Gordon and sophomore infielder Sara Jubas and a complete game by Good. The win forced another rematch between the two teams later in the day, with the winner moving onto the super regionals over the weekend.

JMU beat Michigan 2-1. Good pitched a complete game and added a solo home run in the fourth inning. The Dukes now travel to southern California to play No.2 UCLA in the Super Regionals over the weekend.

Baseball (31-24, 11-13 CAA)

JMU baseball lost three of four games it played this week. The Dukes lost 6-5 to Maryland on Tuesday. They got multiple runners on base in the bottom of the ninth but failed to tie the contest.

Over the weekend, JMU lost two out of three versus UNCW. It shut out the Seahawks 2-0 on Friday before losing 7-4 on Saturday and 4-0 on Sunday. The Dukes enter the CAA Tournament as the No. 6 seed and will play the No. 3 seed William and Mary on Wednesday.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.