JMU baseball

JMU baseball looks to get back on track against Delaware on Saturday.

The spring semester might be long over, but JMU athletics was still in action, as three teams played this week. Baseball’s season came to an end in the CAA Tournament, while softball’s season ended in the Super Regionals against UCLA. Also, track and field’s season ended in the NCAA Preliminary Round in Jacksonville, Florida.

Softball (51-10, 20-1 CAA)

JMU softball’s season ended in the Super Regionals of the 2019 NCAA Softball Tournament versus UCLA. On Friday, the Dukes lost 6-1. Redshirt senior pitcher Megan Good gave up six runs — four unearned — and was handed her seventh loss of the season.

Saturday, JMU lost 7-2, ending its season. Good struggled, as she allowed six earned runs. Good was the lone senior on the Dukes this year, and finished with the team record for several statistics, including wins (120), complete games (86) and strikeouts (900).

Baseball (31-26, 11-13 CAA)

JMU baseball’s season came to an end this week in the 2019 CAA Baseball Championship. Entering the tournament as the No. 6 seed, the Dukes lost to No. 3 William and Mary 2-1 on Wednesday. JMU got strong pitching performances from junior right-hander Kevin Kelly and redshirt junior right-hander Shelton Perkins in the loss.

On Thursday, the Dukes fell 9-7 to No. 4 Northeastern, which ended their season. It was the final collegiate game for several Dukes, including right-handers Matt Marsili and Christian Bourne.

Track and field

JMU track and field’s season came to a close this week in the NCAA Preliminary Round in Jacksonville, Florida. Only one Duke, senior Jantsen Wilson, competed in the meet. She finished 40th in the triple jump with a 12.21-m mark.

Wilson finished with the second-best triple jump in JMU history with a mark of 12.97-m. It was the final collegiate season for several other Dukes, including Erica Jackson, Sidra Morris and Nicolette Serratore.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.