JMU tennis

JMU men's tennis fell 6-1 to in-state foe VCU.

It was a busy week for JMU Athletics as lacrosse won both of its contests and softball continued to dominate CAA play. Meanwhile, baseball, track and field, women’s golf and men’s tennis were also in play. Here’s what you may have missed in the past week.

Track and field

JMU track and field competed at two invitations over the weekend: the Hurricane Alumni Invitational on Friday and the Mason Spring Invitational on Saturday. In Coral Gables at the Hurricane Alumni Invitational, freshman Anoush Stamm set a personal best in the 400-m dash at 56:07 and qualified for the ECAC Championship in the process.

At George Mason, senior Erica Jackson also qualified for the ECAC Championship thanks to a strong performance in the 800-m. Her time of 2:09:36 is the fourth fastest in JMU history and the second-fastest time in the CAA this season. The Dukes host the annual JMU Invitational on Saturday, while another group will head to Charlottesville to compete in the Virginia Challenge on Friday and Saturday.

Baseball (20-17, 4-8 CAA)

JMU baseball split its four games this week. The Dukes lost their one game against U. Va 9-3, and they took two out of three from William and Mary. With a 3-1 victory over the Tribe on Saturday, JMU broke its nine-game losing streak, dating back to March 29.

The two wins were at William and Mary, and were the first CAA road victories for the Dukes this season. They play at Maryland on Tuesday before returning home for a two-game series versus St. Bonaventure on Thursday and Friday.

Softball (31-7, 11-1 CAA)

JMU softball won four of its five games this week. The Dukes split their doubleheader at Virginia Tech on Tuesday, winning the first game 3-1 and getting crushed by the Hokies 12-0 in five innings during the second contest.

JMU won both games of a doubleheader Saturday, outscoring UNCW 21-0 in the two games. The domination didn’t end there as the Dukes won again in five innings Sunday, this time by a 12-2 score.

Women’s golf

JMU women’s golf placed sixth out of eight teams in the CAA Championship over the weekend. Senior Katie Turk ended her JMU career with the lowest CAA Championship round of her career. She battled her way to a 4-over 76, which moved her eight spots up the leaderboard and into a tie for 19th. Her Sunday comeback was the biggest improvement in the field that day.

As a whole, the Dukes dropped three more strokes from their second-round mark. They carded a 315 on the day that put them a single stroke behind fifth-place Elon.

Lacrosse (12-3, 4-0 CAA)

JMU lacrosse won both of its games last week. Friday, it defeated Drexel thanks to a high-octane offensive attack. Sunday, it out-fought Hofstra on a game-winning goal by junior attack Maddie McDaniel in the third overtime period. McDaniel also scored against the Dragons and has put a ball in the back of the net in every game this season.

The Dukes have won five games in a row and have surrendered less than 10 goals in each of those games. They play twice at home this week to close out the regular season Friday versus Elon and Sunday against William and Mary.

Men’s Tennis

JMU men’s tennis defeated Drexel 5-2 in its final regular season match Saturday. It won two of the three doubles points, with juniors Paul Mendoza and Tate Steinour winning one and sophomore Alvaro Arce and senior Pierre Kohler winning the other. The Dukes also got singles victories from Mendoza, Arce and Kohler.

JMU closed out the regular season on a three-game winning streak. It will get back to action Thursday at the CAA Championship in Elon, North Carolina.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.