2018 Women's Tennis action

JMU women's tennis head coach Shelly Jaudon has coached at Middle Tennessee State and Alabama in the past.

It was a busy week for JMU Athletics as lacrosse finished out its regular season and men’s golf and men’s and women’s tennis competed in their postseasons, with women’s tennis winning the CAA title. Meanwhile, softball and baseball were in competition this week. Here’s what you may have missed.

Baseball (23-17, 4-8 CAA)

JMU baseball won all three of its games this week. The Dukes crushed Maryland on Tuesday 14-1 thanks to a four-run first and a five-run seventh. Freshman third baseman Trevon Dabney scored a career-high four runs in the rout.

The Dukes also swept a two-game series against St. Bonaventure on Thursday and Friday. They won the first game 5-1 behind six shutout innings from junior Kevin Kelly and defeated the Bonnies the second game 7-4 on the strength of a five-run first inning. They’re back in action this week with a home battle against the Virginia Cavaliers and a road series at Hofstra.

Softball (36-7, 14-1 CAA)

JMU softball had another strong week, winning all five of its games. The Dukes swept Duke in a doubleheader on Tuesday, crushing the Blue Devils 11-3 in game one and winning the second game 6-5. Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander hit a go-ahead single in the bottom of the sixth in game two to give them the lead for good.

Over the weekend, JMU swept the College of Charleston in a three-game series. It outscored the Cougars 29-1, including a 16-0 victory Sunday. The Dukes have a doubleheader Tuesday versus Virginia and a weekend series at home against Drexel this week.

Men’s Tennis

JMU men’s tennis’ season came to an end this week in the CAA Championship semifinals. On Thursday it defeated the College of Charleston 4-2. The Dukes picked up two doubles victories: one from senior Pierre Kohler and sophomore Alvaro Arce and the other from sophomore Gonzalo Adis and freshman William Karpinski. They also received singles victories from Arce, junior Paul Mendoza and junior Tate Steinour.

Friday, however, JMU lost to UNCW 4-1. The lone victory the Dukes picked up was in the doubles and got swept in the singles.

Women’s Tennis

JMU women’s tennis won its first CAA Championship in program history over the weekend. It defeated Towson 4-0 on Thursday and controlled the College of Charleston 4-1 on Friday to advance to the CAA Championship game.

On Saturday, the Dukes trailed 2-0 in the match versus William & Mary. They lost the doubles point and one of the singles points before singles victories by senior Abby Amos, junior Jona Roka and freshmen Amanda Nord and Daniela Voloh took them to the championship.

Track and Field

JMU track and field had two competitions this week. One group went to the Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Virginia, while another group stayed in Harrisonburg and competed in the JMU Invitational. At the Virginia Challenge on Friday, senior Erica Jackson placed a time of 4:30:52 in the 1500-m, which was good enough for 22nd in the 42-runner field.

The Dukes finished first out of three teams at the JMU Invitational. Freshman Megan Fry won the javelin with a personal-best throw of 39.59m, which is the fifth-best mark in JMU history. Senior Sidra Morris won the hammer throw with a mark of 52.03m. Next up for JMU is the Penn Relays from Thursday to Saturday.

Men’s Golf

JMU men’s golf finished third out of nine teams at the CAA Championships over the weekend. Freshman George Hearth fell in a four-player playoff for the lead. His second-place finish marked the best leaderboard performance by a JMU player at the CAA Championship since then-junior Ryan Cole finished second in 2016.

As a whole, the Dukes carded a score of 291 to finish six strokes behind second-place College of Charleston. UNCW won the championship 12 shots ahead of JMU.

Lacrosse (14-3, 6-0 CAA)

JMU lacrosse closed out the regular season this week with two dominant wins. On Friday, it defeated Elon 16-8 thanks to a balanced offensive attack, with senior attacker Hanna Haven leading the Dukes with six points — four goals and two assists. Sunday featured more high-octane offense from the team, as they defeated William and Mary 16-9. Junior attacker Logan Brennan had a team-high four goals in the contest.

JMU went undefeated in CAA play and finished the regular season on a seven-game win streak, outscoring its opponents 100-52 during that stretch. After the victory on Friday, the Dukes won at least a share on the regular season title for the fourth straight season. Next up is the CAA Championship, which will be held at Sentara Park on May 3 and 5.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.