JMU Baseball

JMU meets on the mound in a game earlier this season.

It was a light week for JMU Athletics, with only three teams competing in contests. Softball kept dominating CAA play as it won all five of its games and captured the regular season crown. Baseball and track and field also played this week.

Softball (41-7, 17-1)

JMU softball continued its hot streak this week, winning all five of its games. On Tuesday, redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good broke the program RBI record in game two of a doubleheader sweep over the Virginia Cavaliers. The Dukes won the first game 14-3 in five innings and the second contest 3-1.

Over the weekend, JMU won all three of its games versus Drexel, including a doubleheader on Saturday. It outscored the Dragons 35-6 and won the first and third games in five innings. The Dukes won the regular season title with the victories on Saturday. They close off the season on the road this weekend in a three-game series at Delaware.

Baseball (25-19, 6-9 CAA)

JMU baseball split its four games this week. On Wednesday, the Dukes lost 2-1 to U. Va. Despite scoring an early run in the second inning, JMU struggled offensively and managed only three hits. Redshirt sophomore Michael Bechtold struggled, walking four batters as he was handed the loss.

JMU won two of three games versus Hofstra over the weekend. It defeated the Pride 8-6 on Friday thanks to an offensive outburst headlined by a two-run home run by junior pitcher/infielder Fox Semones in the first and a two-run homer by junior middle infielder Matt Dipasupil in the sixth. The Dukes won on Saturday 4-3 via a walk-off hit by pitch. JMU was unable to complete the sweep Sunday in a 10-5 loss.

Track and field

JMU track and field competed in two meets this weekend: the Penn Relays on Thursday and Friday and the Virginia Grand Prix on Friday and Saturday. At the Penn Relays, senior Olivia Viparina finished in 12th place in the 3,000-m steeplechase, coming away with a season-best time of 10:30:67.

In the Virginia Grand Prix, senior Sidra Morris crushed her own school record in the hammer throw as she won the event with a distance of 53.13-m. Senior Dominique Johnson finished fifth in the discus with a 43.32-m throw. Up next for the Dukes is the CAA Championships in Burlington, North Carolina, on Friday and Saturday.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.