Tre Dabney

JMU freshman infielder Trevon Dabney prepares to swing in a game earlier this season.

It was a busy week for JMU athletics as lacrosse won its third-straight CAA tournament title and fourth title and softball kept dominating CAA play. Here’s what you may have missed.

Lacrosse (16-3, 6-0 CAA)

JMU lacrosse won the CAA tournament on Sunday. Friday, it defeated Elon 16-5 thanks to two runs of five or more goals. Ten different players scored for the Dukes, with junior attacker Maddie McDaniel tying a career-high tally with four. JMU also commanded the draw-control battle 15 to seven.

Sunday, the Dukes beat Hofstra 13-3 to claim their third-straight CAA title and receive an auto-bid into their fifth-straight NCAA tournament. They received a trio of hat tricks from McDaniel, junior attacker Logan Brennan and senior attacker Hanna Haven. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Molly Dougherty saved 12 shots as JMU tied a season-low in goals allowed. Next up for the Dukes is Stony Brook in the NCAA tournament on Friday, with the winner to play No. 1 Maryland.

Softball (44-7, 20-1 CAA)

JMU softball finished the regular season as it swept Delaware in a three-game series. In game one of a doubleheader Friday, the Dukes got home runs from junior infielder Madison Naujokas and sophomore infielder Sara Jubas in a 5-1 victory. In the second game, redshirt senior Megan Good threw a complete game and gave up just one run en route to a 7-1 victory and her 17th win of the season.

Sunday, JMU’s offense came alive late as the Dukes scored 13 unanswered runs from the fourth inning onward to win 15-5. They scored six runs in the seventh inning to put the Blue Hens away. Good pitched the last 5.1 innings to win her 18th game of the season. Next up for JMU is the winner of College of Charleston and Drexel in the CAA tournament starting Wednesday.

Baseball (28-19, 9-9 CAA)

JMU baseball swept its weekend series versus Towson. Friday, the Dukes scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth to take the lead and win the game 5-2. Saturday, the Dukes scored the lone run of the game on a home run in the bottom of the seventh by junior first baseman Brady Harju.

JMU finished the sweep Sunday via a walk-off single by junior middle infielder Matt Dipasupil. Up next for the Dukes is a game at George Mason on Tuesday and a weekend series at Northeastern.

Women’s tennis (14-9, 3-1 CAA)

JMU women’s tennis lost to Duke in the first round of the NCAA tournament Saturday, ending its season. The Dukes failed to pick up a single point as they lost 4-0.

Seniors Abby Amos and Emma Petersen played in their final collegiate match against the Blue Devils. Amos’ 50 doubles victories are the sixth-most in program history, and Petersen finished with the school records in singles victories (86) and total victories (153).

Track and field

JMU track and field placed sixth out of eight teams in the CAA Championships over the weekend. Seniors Olivia Viparina and Dominique Johnson both won individual titles, with Viparina claiming the 3000-m steeplechase trophy and Johnson winning the discus title.

Senior Meredith Willis won the silver medal in the 100-m finals and finished second in the 200-m finals as well. Up next for the Dukes is the ECAC Outdoor Championships in Princeton, New Jersey, on Saturday and Sunday.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.