Logan Newton (copy)

Logan Newton recorded a a three-run home run in the Dukes' first victory of the day.

JMU softball (40-7, 16-1 CAA) defeated Drexel 14-0 in five innings in game one and 9-4 in game two to extend its win streak twelve games. JMU blasted seven home runs on the afternoon JMU to clinch the CAA regular-season championship for the sixth straight season.

”Our team knows what’s at stake right now,” LaPorte said. “It’s very important that we went out just to give ourselves a shot at being high in the RPI and being high when we go in the tournament. We don’t want to drop games and that being on our head when we go into the tournament.”

Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander got the start in the circle in game one, earning her 18th victory of the season. She pitched a shutout, allowing only one hit with 10 strikeouts. The lone hit came in the top of the fifth when sophomore first baseman/third baseman Megan Trivelpiece doubled.

“That was the big thing for me today, making it move and try not to miss my spots,” Alexander said.

JMU took the lead in the bottom of the first by putting five runs on the board. Redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good, Alexander and sophomore outfielder/pitcher Logan Newton all drove runs in the inning with Newton smacking a three-run home run.

JMU scored at least a run in each inning for the rest of the game. Junior utility Kate Gordon, junior infielder Madison Naujokas and sophomore infielder Sara Jubas all blasted home runs in the victory. Gordon finished a triple short of the cycle.

“I’m just waiting, be patient in my at-bats,” Gordon said. “When I see one I like, I just swing.”

In the second game of the doubleheader, Good earned her 16th victory of the season. She pitched a complete game, allowing four runs on six hits with one walk and nine strikeouts.

Similar to game one, JMU put five runs on the board in the bottom of the first. Sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File led things off with a home run to make it 1-0. Alexander followed with a two-run home run to extend the lead to 3-0. Jubas and junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap also drove runs in the first.

In the bottom of the fourth, Alexander hit her second home run of the day to extend the lead to 8-0. Alexander went 3-for-8 with two homers and six RBIs on the afternoon, Gordon finished the afternoon 6-for-7 with a homer and three RBIs.

“In practice I just focused really hard on the [pitching] machines this weekend,” Gordon said. “[I] took what I did in practice this week to this weekend.”

In the top of the fifth, Drexel put four runs on the board, cutting JMU’s lead to 8-4 when junior infielder Linda Rush singled and two runs scored on errors by File and Gordon. In the following at-bat, sophomore first baseman Kristi DiMeo hit a home run to center field to cut the lead to four.

“We flushed it and evened the inning right after,” Gordon said. “We got a hit, we scored right after so I think we’re able to put it behind us and try to get it done on the offense.”

JMU responded in bottom half of the inning when Good singled to drive in Naujokas to make it 9-5. Good shut down the dragon’s offense for the rest of the game to preserve the victory. With the loss, Drexel (29-19, 9-8 CAA) falls to third in the conference behind Elon.

“Megan did a good job in the sixth and seventh,” LaPorte said. “There was some things i that fifth inning that important going forward.”

The Dukes go for the sweep of the Dragons in the series finale tomorrow on Senior day. First-pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m.

Contact Jason Clampitt at clampijt@dukes.jmu.edu. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.