Megan Good vs. Hofstra

Megan Good stares intently at Roadcap behind home plate. 

JMU softball (41-7, 17-1 CAA) defeated Drexel (29-20, 9-9 CAA) 12-2 in five innings on Senior Day. Redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good went 1-for-2 with an RBI double to finish her regular season career at Veterans Memorial Park.

“I don’t even know how to describe it,” Good said. “It’s a great time. If I had another chance to do it over, I would. It’s been a ride, plenty of ups and downs, but I’ve had my team here to get me through all of it.”

Good finished her tenure at JMU as the program leader in RBIs, wins, strikeouts shutouts, complete games, lowest ERA, lowest opponent batting average, fewest walks allowed and games started. Head coach Loren LaPorte acknowledged how important Good has been to the program.

“When they were reading off her bio, it was pretty incredible what she’s been able to do as a student-athlete here,” LaPorte said. “She’s put this program on the map .... she’s left a big legacy here.”

Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander got the start in the circle, earning her 19th victory of the season. She pitched a complete game, allowing two runs on four hits with five strikeouts. She finished the series against the Dragons 2-0, allowing two runs on five hits with five strikeouts.

Alexander got the scoring started for JMU in the bottom of the first when she launched a grand slam to left to make it 4-0. She finished the game 2-for-2 with two homers and six RBIs.

“I think we’re just very competitive,” Alexander said. “Not letting anybody walk over us, also not backing down from any team.”

The following inning JMU scored four runs, highlighted by a pair of doubles by Good and sophomore infielder Sara Jubas to make it 8-0. Junior infielder Madison Naujokas also drove in a run.

Drexel got on the board in the top of the third when senior catcher Taylor M. Lee hit a home run to cut the lead to 8-1. JMU responded in the bottom half of the inning by adding four runs led by an RBI double from junior utility Kate Gordon and a two-run home run from Alexander to make it 12-1.

Alexander gave up her final run in the top of the fifth when junior infielder Linda Rush drove in a run to make it 12-2. Alexander struck out junior outfielder Taylor Kent for the victory, completing the sweep of Drexel.

JMU’s regular season campaign at home has come to an end, finishing 21-1. JMU travels to Newark, Delaware, to finish its regular season with a weekend series against Delaware before coming back to Veterans Memorial Park to host the CAA Tournament.

“It would be awesome to end with a little bang,” Good said. “If it happens, it happens. That’s our goal, that’s been our goal since the beginning of the season … one step at a time and one pitch at a time.”

Contact Jason Clampitt at clampijt@dukes.jmu.edu. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.