Kierstin Roadcap (copy)

Kierstin Roadcap hit a solo homerun for the Dukes in their second game of the day.

JMU softball split its two games Thursday, beating No. 25 Michigan but losing to Arizona State. It defeated the Wolverines, 3-0, before falling to the Sun Devils, 6-4, on a walk-off home run.

The first game against the Wolverines was a pitchers’ duel, with neither team scoring in the first eight innings. In the top of the ninth, redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good hit a two-run home run to break the scoreless game. The Dukes then added a third run when sophomore infielder Sara Jubas singled in junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap.

Good then came on to pitch in the bottom of the inning and got the save. Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander picked up the win for JMU, while Michigan freshman Alex Storako was handed the loss.

The Dukes got off to a fast start in the second game against the Sun Devils, with sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File hitting a two-run double in the first inning. In the top of the second, Roadcap hit a solo home run to extend JMU’s lead to three. Arizona State scored two runs off Good in the bottom of the third,.

After scoreless fourth and fifth innings, the Dukes added a fourth run when Roadcap scored on a fielding error by junior infielder Jade Gortarez. In the bottom of the seventh, Arizona State sophomore infielder Bella Loomis hit a two-run home run to tie the game at four. After a walk, senior outfielder Morgan Howe hit a walk-off, two-run home run to win the game for the Sun Devils. Freshman Abby Andersen got the win while Good suffered the loss.

JMU moves to 8-5 on the season. Its next game is Friday against South Dakota at 1:30 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.