Odicci Alexander (copy)

JMU softball won both its games Saturday against Drake and Kent State.

JMU softball (7-2) defeated Drake (10-8) and Kent State (6-9) Saturday 8-0 and 8-1, respectively.

The Dukes wasted no time putting points on the board against Drake. Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander hit a home run to left field with junior utility Kate Gordon on base to give JMU its first two points. In the third inning, the Dukes ignited a scoring explosion.

Redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good homered to center field, allowing Alexander and junior infielder/outfielder Cambry Arnold to score as well. In the fifth and final frame, junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap hit the final homer of the match, hitting in herself and sophomore infielder Sara Jubas and bringing the point total to 8-0.

Not only did the Dukes have a strong hitting performance, but their pitching was dominant. Drake only had 15 at bats while JMU had 22. Additionally, JMU pitched three strikeouts; but only had two more than their opponents.

In its second match of the day, the team faced off against Kent State. The Dukes earned a controlling victory, as the Golden Flashes scored the only point of the opening stanza.

Down one, the Dukes tied the score in the second inning off an unearned run from junior infielder Madison Naujokas and added more runs in the fifth inning. Off a single up middle from Alexander, Gordon and Naujokas both scored, and a hit to right field from sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File allowed Arnold to score.

The Dukes ended the match with a homerun from Gordon, allowing both herself and Naujokas to score and bring the final score to 8-1. With the victory, the Dukes have lengthened their win streak to four games.

The Dukes continue their Arizona road trip Sunday. The team will face stiff competition with Minnesota (10-5) and Arizona (12-5).

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.