Megan Good vs. Hofstra

Megan Good fires a pitch in the Dukes' game against Hofstra. 

JMU softball beat ECU, 3-1, in its second of two games Sunday. The Dukes knocked off Boston College 9-0 earlier in the day.

In the Dukes’ first game against the Eagles, sophomore pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander earned her 15th career shutout. She pitched five innings allowing one hit, four walks and four strikeouts, giving up her only hit in the game in the bottom of the fifth, when freshman pitcher/first baseman Kristin Giery singled to center field. The Dukes claimed the win by the mercy rule after the fifth inning.

In the second game of the day, the contest started off as a pitcher’s duel, with neither team scoring in the first four innings. In the top of the fifth, redshirt senior pitcher Megan Good hit a two-run home run to get the Dukes on the board. In the bottom of the sixth, junior outfielder Olivia Narron singled in a run for the Pirates, cutting JMU’s lead in half.

In the top of the seventh, the Dukes scratched out an insurance run when sophomore outfielder Hannah File singled in junior outfielder Kate Gordon. Good then worked around two base runners in the bottom of the inning to close the Pirates out.

Good took the win for the Dukes, while ECU sophomore Erin Poepping claimed the loss. JMU moves to 5-2 on the season, and its next game is Saturday against Drake at 11 a.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.