Odicci Alexander

Sophomore pitcher Odicci Alexander remained perfect on the season, recording a win against Hofstra, 10-5.

JMU softball (27-6, 8-1 CAA) defeated Hofstra (16-18, 3-6 CAA) 10-5 to sweep the series Sunday. The Dukes survived a late push from the Pride and extended their win streak to nine.

JMU junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander started in the circle, earning her 11th victory of the season and keeping her perfect record intact. She pitched five innings, allowing three runs off two hits with three walks and four strikeouts.  

The Dukes’ three-run first inning was highlighted by sophomore infielder Sara Jubas’ two-run single and an RBI single from junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap. The following inning, redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good launched a three-run home run, the 41st home run of her career. The Mount Sidney, Virginia, native is just five home runs away from tying Jailyn Ford for most in program history.

After JMU added a run to its lead in the top of the sixth, Hofstra put three runs on the board making it 7-3. Sophomore pitcher Payton Buresch came in to relieve Alexander in hopes of stopping the Pride’s comeback. Hofstra scored two runs off Buresch to cut the lead to 7-5, before Good came in to end the inning.

In the seventh, JMU added three runs to its lead when sophomore outfielder/pitcher Logan Newton smacked a three-run homer. Newton finished the series against Hofstra going 7-for-10 with two home runs and eight RBIs.

JMU continues its road trip with a non-conference doubleheader against Virginia Tech on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. Fore more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.