JMU Softball

JMU softball opened up its conference play with a 13-2 win over Elon.

JMU softball split a doubleheader against No. 22 Virginia Tech Wednesday. The Dukes won the first game 3-1, then the Hokies took the second game in five innings, 12-0.

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Hokies scored in the second inning and held the lead until the top of the seventh inning. The JMU bats rallied in the top of the seventh, scoring three runs to take the lead.

Redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good tied the game with a single, then sophomore infielder Sara Jubas came up clutch with a two-run single, scoring two Dukes after Good’s tying single.

The second game was all Hokies as Tech started the second game strong, scoring six runs in the first inning off junior pitcher/infield Oddici Alexander and sophomore pitcher Payton Buresch.

Over the next three innings, the Hokies scored six more runs to force the mercy rule in five innings. Virginia Tech sophomore pitcher Keely Rochard threw a perfect game in the 12-0 win, earning her 15th win of the year, while Alexander was handed her first loss of the season for the Dukes.

JMU, now 28-7, will return Harrisonburg for a weekend series against UNCW. The first game of the series is Saturday with the first pitch at 1 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.