JMU softball.jpg

JMU softball has run through its conference schedule so far. 

JMU softball (36-7, 14-1 CAA) defeated the College of Charleston (21-25, 5-10 CAA) 16-0 in five innings Sunday to sweep the Cougars, which was the fourth consecutive sweep against a CAA opponent. JMU’s offense was led by junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap and junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander, who each had grand slam home runs.

“When you can come back from day one and do better on day two, that’s always saying something,” head coach Loren LaPorte said. “I feel like Odicci had a heck of a game and our defense, again, played really well. I’m liking our consistency from day one to day two.”

Alexander started in the circle for JMU and earned her 16th victory of the season. She pitched a shutout and allowed only one hit with four strikeouts.

“Doing what I did from yesterday, bringing in today,” Alexander said. “That’s hard to do as a pitcher, having a good game and carrying it over to today.”

The Cougars started junior pitcher Chandler Sparkman, who only faced six batters before junior pitcher Izzy Berouty came in relief of her. In the bottom of the first, redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good opened the scoring for the Dukes, doubling down the right field line to score sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File to make it 1-0.

Sparkman was pulled after allowing a walk to sophomore infielder Sara Jubas with the bases loaded to make it 2-0. After the walk, Berouty came into pitch against Roadcap, where she took Berouty deep on the first pitch she saw for a grand slam to cap off the six-run inning.

“I just saw a really good pitch to swing at,” Roadcap said. “I just thought we did a really good job all game of being disciplined at the plate.”

JMU followed the six-run first by scoring five runs in the bottom of the second, highlighted by Alexander’s grand slam and a sacrifice fly from freshman outfielder Victoria Figueroa to extend the lead to 11-0. The Dukes ended the scoring in the bottom of the fourth by putting five runs on the board. Freshman outfielder Kelsey Brown and freshman infielder Hannah Shifflett both recorded their first career hits.

“I felt like everybody I put in did something productive,” LaPorte said. “That’s what you want to see … I don’t think there’s one pinch hitter we put in that didn’t do something.”

With the victory, JMU extends its win streak to eight games and continues its homestand with a non-conference doubleheader against Virginia. First pitch is Tuesday at 4 p.m.

Contact Jason Clampitt at clampijt@dukes.jmu.edu. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.