Sara Jubas

Sophomore infielder Sara Jubas had a 3-for-4 performance with her first home run of the season against South Dakota.

JMU softball took care of South Dakota on Friday in five innings, as three home runs propelled the Dukes to a 9-1 victory. The win marked the Dukes’ return to the win column after a close loss to Arizona State the day before, and their second victory of the ASU Invitational.

“I was pleased with our performance at the plate today and thought we did a good job of bringing runners in to score,” head coach Loren LaPorte told JMU Athletics. “We had a few changes in our lineup, but I thought our girls adjusted well. CC had another great game in the circle for us and we’re excited to play two more tomorrow.”

Sophomore infielder Sara Jubas, junior pitcher/outfielder Odicci Alexander and junior utility Kate Gordon each hit home runs on the afternoon. Additionally, Jubas had two RBIs while Gordon had three.

Complementing her success at the plate, Alexander pitched a complete game against 19 batters faced and only gave up three hits. The lone score she allowed came off a home run in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Seven Dukes recorded hits and three — Jubas, sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File and junior infielder/outfielder Cambry Arnold — had multi-hit performances. Alexander earned her third win of the season, upping her career wins total to 39.

Next up for JMU is a Saturday double header against New Mexico State and Lehigh. The Dukes’ first game is set for 1:30 p.m., with the second expected to take place at 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @theBreezeSports.