Logan Newton

Logan Newton got the scoring started for the Dukes on Saturday after drawing a walk with the bases loaded.

James Madison softball (14-5) defeated Binghamton (4-6) 15-1 Saturday afternoon in five innings, as the Dukes’ bats continue to dominate — putting up 39 runs in the first three game of the JMU Invitational. JMU extended its winning streak to six games and has won its first three games of its homestand.

“I think just saying focused during pregame, during practice,” redshirt senior Megan Good said. “We practice like we play, so I think we’ve been doing a good job in practice and staying focused, staying disciplined and getting our pitch and hitting it hard.”

JMU got the scoring started when sophomore outfield/pitcher Logan Newton drew a bases- loaded walk to force home a run, giving the Dukes a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. The following inning, sophomore infielder Sara Jubas continued her strong start to the 2019 season when she doubled to center to put the Dukes up 2-0.

The Dukes’ bats came alive in the final two innings, scoring 13 runs. JMU scored five runs in the bottom of the third to pull away from Binghamton as two fielding errors by the Bearcats and RBI singles from sophomore utility Natalie Cutright and sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File made it 7-0. File has hit .556 with 5 RBIs during the JMU Invitational.

The following inning, JMU put eight runs on the board when junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap sophomore infielder/outfielder Cambry Arnold got RBI singles to make it 9-0. Junior infielder Madison Naujokas and Good finished the scoring for the Dukes as Naujokas blasted a three-run home run. After striking out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the first, Good hit a grand slam to make it 15-0.

“Coach LaPorte has been telling to always improve from the last at bat,” Good said. “I was thinking, ‘See ball, hit ball.’ I don’t care where it goes I just want to hit it hard somewhere.”

Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander earned her eighth victory of the season. She pitched a complete game shutout allowing four hits with five strikeouts.

“My coach pulled me aside before the game and told me to be positive the whole game, she wanted me to go in with a bulldog mentality,” Alexander said.

LaPorte has acknowledge that the first month of the season on the road help the team put up the offensive numbers during the Invitational.

“We’ve been playing a tough schedule, in the first four weeks we saw some of the best pitchers in the country,” head coach LaPorte said. “I think it has prepared our hitters for this and we’ve learned a lot as an offense.”

The Dukes conclude the JMU Invitational against Morgan State. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.

Contact Jason Clampitt at clampijt@dukes.jmu.edu. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.