Payton Buresch

Freshman pitcher Payton Buresch claimed the CAA Rookie of the Year title after going 17-4 on the season.

JMU softball picked up its third and fourth consecutive wins in a pair of games against CAA foe Towson on Saturday. The Dukes prevailed 5-1 over the visiting Tigers in the 12 p.m. game and 4-0 in the 2 p.m. contest.

Junior infielder/pitcher Odicci Alexander got the start, but sophomore pitcher Payton Buresch picked up the win in the first game of the doubleheader. JMU allowed three hits and posted 10, using a two-run fourth inning and a three-run sixth inning to take game one.

Redshirt senior infielder/pitcher Megan Good tossed a seven-inning shutout for the Dukes, striking out eight batters along the way. JMU scored all four of its runs in the first two innings and tallied six hits. Towson had more errors (two) than hits (one) and fell to 14-14 (1-4 CAA).

No. 16/20 JMU improved to 22-6 (4-1 CAA) and closes out the weekend series with the Tigers tomorrow at 1 p.m. The Dukes look to improve to 8-1 at home and continue their climb in the national rankings.

JMU faces Liberty on Wednesday at 1 p.m. at home before traveling to Hofstra in a weekend series.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.