Loren LaPorte

Loren LaPorte has agreed on a four-year contract extension with JMU softball, keeping her with the program until the conclusion of the 2022 season.

JMU Director of Athletics Jeff Bourne announced Tuesday that JMU softball Head Coach Loren LaPorte has received a four-year contract extension, keeping her with the Dukes through the end of the 2022 season.

“We are excited to confirm Loren LaPorte as head coach of JMU softball for the next four years,” Bourne said to JMU Athletics. “Loren has grown tremendously during her years at JMU and is well suited for this opportunity … I have no doubt that JMU softball is in good hands moving forward.”

Prior to being elevated to the head coach position for the Dukes in September — following the unexpected departure of previous head coach Mickey Dean to Auburn — LaPorte served as an assistant coach at JMU for five seasons, compiling a record of 280-70 (107-11 CAA) with the Dukes. She’s helped lead JMU to three CAA Championships and coached six different CAA Players of the Year and four CAA Rookies of the Year during her tenure.

“For the past six years, I have absolutely loved my time with the JMU softball program,” LaPorte told JMU Athletics. “I am so grateful for this opportunity and would like to thank Kevin White, Jeff Bourne and Charlie King for all of their continued support throughout this process. I am so excited for the future of the program as we strive to continue to compete at the national level.”

In her first season at the helm of JMU softball, LaPorte led the Dukes to a 43-14 (19-2 CAA) and was awarded 2018 CAA Coach of the Year. Coaching a plethora of growing talent — including 2018 CAA Player of the Year Odicci Alexander — LaPorte saw five players earn NFCA All-Region honors and four student athletes recognized as All-CAA talents.

With her contract worries out the window, LaPorte can now turn all her attention to the upcoming year — a season that’s expected to be one of the more successful in program history. Boasting a starting lineup of Conference Player of the Year Alexander, a top-25 Finalist for NFCA Freshman of the Year in Payton Buresch and a returning Shutt Sports/NFCA Division I National Player of the Year in Megan Good, the Dukes are equipped with one of the strongest pitching programs in the country. If the bats and fielding can complement the play on the mound, the Dukes will be set up for an extremely successful 2019 season.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.