Odicci Alexander

Sophomore pitcher Odicci Alexander remained perfect on the season, recording a win against Hofstra, 10-5.

JMU (51-9, 20-1 CAA) dropped its first game of the Los Angeles Super Regional to No. 2 UCLA (50-6, 20-4 Pac-12) 6-1 on Friday. JMU’s offense was held to only one run on two hits as the Dukes face elimination heading into Game Two on Saturday.

Junior utility Kate Gordon got the scoring started for the Dukes in the top of the first, as she homered on the second pitch of the at-bat off redshirt junior pitcher/first baseman Rachel Garcia to make it 1-0. JMU didn’t record another hit until the top of the fifth when junior infielder Madison Naujokas singled.

Redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good started in the circle, suffering her seventh loss of the season. She pitched 3.1 innings, allowing six runs on four hits with four walks and two strikeouts.

The Dukes held a one run lead over the Bruins until the bottom of the third, when UCLA put four runs on the board. Sophomore utility Kinsley Washington scored on a fielding error committed by freshman infielder Hannah Shifflett to make it 1-1. Later in the inning, Garcia launched a three-run homer to give the Bruins a 4-1 lead.

In the bottom of the fourth, UCLA added two more runs to make it 6-1 after Good walked sophomore infielder Briana Perez to bring home a run and an RBI single by Garcia. Garcia dominated JMU’s offense as she earned the victory. She pitched a complete game, allowing only one run with two walks and 12 strikeouts.

With the loss, JMU looks to extend its season and force a Game Three on Sunday. Game Two is Saturday at 8 p.m. on ESPN.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.