DSC_4534.jpg

JMU swept Towson to move to 5-1 in CAA play.

JMU softball outlasted Towson on Sunday, 6-0. All six of JMU’s runs came in extra innings after being in a 0-0 tie through eight innings with the Tigers. With the sweep of Towson, the Dukes’ winning streak is extended to five, and their overall record sits at 23-6 and 5-1 in the CAA.

The Tigers had a cold day at the plate, only getting two hits through 29 at bats. JMU’s pitching was fantastic, as redshirt senior Megan Good pitched all nine innings, racking up an eye popping 17 strikeouts, while giving up only two hits and no earned runs.

From the opposing dugout, sophomore Melissa Abrahamian, started and threw 4 2/3 innings for Towson, allowing four hits while not letting in any runs. Freshman Sarah Johnson came in relief and threw 3 ⅔ innings, giving up five hits and six runs. With all of the runs scored off her, Johnson received the loss.

While the Dukes and Tigers remained in a deadlock through eight innings, the JMU bats came alive in the top of the ninth as junior left fielder Kate Gordon came to the plate. Gordon blasted a shot up the middle for her first hit of the game, which came just in time to finally break the tie, driving in two runs and putting the Dukes in a good position to win.

Once Gordon broke the scoreless barrier the JMU bats came to life. Sophomore outfielder/pitcher Logan Newton stole the show at the plate for the Dukes, going 3-for-5 with one RBI. Sophomore third baseman Hannah File added two hits across three at-bats, one walk and a sacrifice fly.

The Dukes’ offense combined for 10 hits and five walks while only striking out five times across 37 at bats. The Dukes were also without an error, but did leave 13 runners stranded on base. The Tigers struggled to get runners on base and finished the game with four errors.

The Dukes look to extend their winning streak to six games as they square off with Liberty (23-13, 6-3 ASUN) at home Wednesday at 6 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.