Logan Newton (copy)

The Dukes went 3-1 at the NC State Invitational this weekend.

JMU softball went 3-1 over the weekend while competing at the NC State Invitational in Raleigh, North Carolina, to move to 9-4 on the  season.

In the early afternoon Saturday, the Dukes lost to Lehigh, 6-2. Sophomore pitcher/utility Kayla Boseman went 4.2 innings, giving up three runs and handed the loss. Sophomore pitcher Isabel Kelly got the last seven outs for JMU, also giving up three runs. Lehigh did all its damage in the fifth and seventh innings, scoring a trio of runs in each frame.

Junior outfielder Logan Newton had a solid game against the Mountain Hawks. She went 2-for-3 with a home run that accounted for both of JMU’s runs in the contest.

On Saturday evening the Dukes defeated NC State, 13-5. Junior infielder Sara Jubas hit two solo home runs, and junior infielder Hannah File hit a three-run homer. Newton added on to her good day with a double, two walks and two runs batted in.

Junior pitcher Alexis Bermudez picked up the win for JMU, her second on the season. She went all seven innings, giving up five runs and striking out six Wolfpack hitters.

On Sunday, the Dukes won both games they played — each in five innings — by a combined score of 28-3. In a morning rematch with Lehigh, JMU utilized a nine-run third inning to blow the Mountain Hawks away. JMU hit three home runs in the inning off the bats of senior outfielder Kate Gordon, File and senior infielder Madison Naujokas. 

In the afternoon, the Dukes shut out North Carolina A&T, 13-0. Kelly bounced back from her subpar performance the previous day by pitching a three-hitter to get her first victory of the season.

Offensively, JMU did its damage in the first two innings, scoring eight runs in the first and four more in the second. Gordon went 2-for-2 in the game with a home run, a walk and four runs batted in, and Naujokas went 1-for-3 with two RBIs as well. 

“I am very proud of the way the team played today," head coach Loren LaPorte said to JMU Athletics following the North Carolina A&T victory. "We were powerful at the plate and stayed focus throughout each game, even when we were leading. Now we learn from this weekend and prepare for the upcoming week, we go to Virginia on Tuesday and then host our Invitational at home. We are excited to finally be at home!”

Next, the Dukes play their first game in the Commonwealth when they travel to Virginia on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.