Megan Good vs. Hofstra

Megan Good stares intently at Roadcap behind home plate. 

JMU softball (26-6, 7-1 CAA) scored 25 runs total to claim the first two games of a weekend series against Hofstra on Saturday. The Dukes defeated the Pride 9-4 in the first game and 16-2 in five innings in game two.

JMU redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good started in the circle for the Dukes in game one, earning her 11th victory of the season. Good was flawless until the bottom of the fourth, when Hofstra’s junior infielder, Kristin Hallam, singled to break up the perfect game.

The Dukes put three runs in the top of the third and six runs in the top of the fourth, highlighted by junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap’s three-run home run in the top of the fourth. JMU survived a late surge by Hofstra, as it responded by scoring four runs on Good in the bottom of the fourth, but sophomore pitcher Payton Buresch came in relief to end the comeback attempt.

In game two of the doubleheader, Buresch pitched a complete game — allowing two runs on eight hits with two walks and four strikeouts,  — earning her fifth victory of the season. The Dukes’ offense came alive in game two, scoring in every inning, including seven runs top of the first.

JMU blasted four home runs in Saturday’s doubleheader with one in game one and three in game two. Roadcap, sophomore outfielder/pitcher Logan Newton, Gordon and sophomore outfielder Michelle Sullivan all left the yard. Newton finished the afternoon 6-for-7 with a home run and Five RBIs.

With the victories, JMU takes sole possession of first place in the CAA as it looks to complete the sweep of Hofstra (16-17, 3-5 CAA) on Sunday. First pitch for the series finale is set for Sunday at 12 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. Fore more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.