Kate Gordon

JMU utility player Kate Gordon hit four home runs across two games on Saturday.

After leading the Dukes to a 6-1 victory over FAU earlier in the day, junior utility player Kate Gordon hit three home runs that propelled JMU softball to a 6-2 win over No. 6-ranked Tennessee on Saturday evening.

Gordon got the Dukes on the board with a lead-off, inside-the-park home run in the top of the first. She went 3-for-4 with four RBIs in the game to complete an astounding 7-for-8 performance with four home runs and six RBIs on the day.

Two batters later, junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander launched a home run to center that extended the lead to 2-0. In addition to Gordon’s other two home runs later that afternoon, redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good launched one out in the sixth inning to give JMU five home runs in the game — marking the most by the team in a game since May 29, 2017 against Drexel.

Good got the start in the circle for the Dukes, one day after earning her 100th career win at James Madison. She pitched a complete game, giving up two runs on three hits and five walks with six strikeouts. A two-run home run from Tennessee’s junior infielder Chelsea Seggern in the bottom of the first was the only sign of offense for the Volunteers.

JMU improved its record to 3-1 with just one game remaining in the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational in Florida, a Sunday matchup with No. 21-ranked Kentucky. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.