JMU track & field

A group of JMU sprinters compete against an athlete from Marshall and another from George Mason. 

JMU’s track and field team had an exceptional day at the Mason Spring Invitational. Senior Erica Jackson qualified for the ECAC Championships with a run time of 2:09.36 in the 800-meter run. Jackson's time not only qualified her for the ECAC Championship, but it placed her in third out of 24 racers, making her the first runner since 2015 to be in the top 10. Her impressive run time the second fastest in the CAA and also the fourth fastest in JMU history.

Freshman Jamie Richards threw a personal best discus throw of 39.62m (130’). Her throw placed her sixth out of 27, making it a special day for the freshman. Senior Olivia Viparina placed seventh in the 1500 meter race with a run time of 4:35.29, setting her personal best.

Senior Erin Saunders had a great showing for the 5000-meter race by placing third not only in the race that day but also six more times before that. The Dukes have eight members will represent JMU at the ECAC Outdoor Championships. 

JMU’s Track and Field team next performance is Friday with the Dukes heading down to Charlottesville, Virginia for the Virginia Challenge. The Dukes are also holding the JMU Invitational at Sentara Park on Saturday. The Dukes are determined to perform well and bring home some good results.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more track and field coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.