Paris Black

Redshirt defensive lineman Paris Black has five solo tackles and 11 assisted on the season.

JMU football’s redshirt junior defensive lineman Paris Black is “no longer on the team,” according to the Dukes’ sports information director. The lineman’s Twitter bio also states he’s an “active transfer.”

Black, who joined JMU after transferring from Wake Forest during the spring of 2018, started five games for the Dukes in 2018. His 26 tackles were 13th on the team, and his 2.5 sacks were tied for the fourth-highest mark among his teammates.

The North Carolina native joins the list of players to transfer out of JMU this offseason — joining early enrollee cornerback Dorian Davis and freshman wide receiver Jack Chenault. Black was expected to enter the 2019 season in the mix for a starting position on the interior defensive line.

A bundle of transferring talents are expected with coaching turnover for a variety of reasons. The coaches may run things too differently than the previous staff, and the players may not fit the style or schemes of the new regime.

Losing Black thins out the battle for the starting defensive tackle positions heading into 2019, positions that rising redshirt junior Adeeb Atariwa and junior Mike Greene should be penciled in for. The Dukes also added three defensive linemen for the incoming class of 2019 — Sean Johns, Jalen Green and Carlo Jones.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.