Kevin Kelly

Kevin Kelly struck out 11 batters in the Dukes' 2-0 win over High Point.

On Saturday, D1Baseball.com, a website for Division I college baseball, ranked the top 100 pitching performances of the Cape Cod Baseball League and Northwoods League, two prestigious collegiate summer baseball leagues. No. 1 in the ranking was JMU junior pitcher Kevin Kelly, who spent the summer pitching for the Orleans Firebirds of the CCBL.

The pitchers were ranked based on their grades for zone control, pitch ability and durability. Zone control is a pitcher’s ability to control the strike zone, durability mainly comes from how many innings pitched and pitch ability is the ability to pitch using advanced statistics. Pitchers were graded with scores ranging from 0-100, with 90-100 being an A, 80-89 a B, etc.

Kelly just missed out on a B rating for his zone control, coming up short with a 79.4 rating. However, he more than made up for it with an A in the other two categories, gaining a 92.7 in pitch ability and a 94.3 in durability. He had an overall ranking of 93.8, beating out New Mexico junior right-handed pitcher Justin Slaten, who pitched for the Eau Claire Express of the Northwoods league.

Over 36 innings in the CCBL, Kelly led the league with a 1.25 ERA and finished with a 1-1 record across 13 games. He struck out 27 batters and held his opponents to a .184 batting average. He also pitched a 1-2-3 inning in the All-Star Game on July 22. Kelly will look to continue his success this upcoming season for the Dukes when they open in the spring.

Link to article: https://d1baseball.com/prospects/2018-summer-analytics-top-100-pitchers/

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.