Cignetti

Curt Cignetti interviews with media after the conference on Monday.

A week ago, James Madison football received an online commitment from Knox Kadum, a three-star recruit from Rome, Georgia, via his Twitter page. The two-time state champion quarterback had planned to sign his official letter of intent on Wednesday, this year’s National Signing Day.

But just three days after announcing his commitment to the Dukes, he received an offer from FBS and Power-Five program Virginia Tech. Knox had 15 other scholarship offers aside from JMU and Tech, several of them coming from FBS institutions.

After informing JMU head coach Curt Cignetti of his decision to make a visit to Hokie Nation, Kadum told Greg Madia of the Daily News-Record that Cignetti had opted to move in another direction.

“I definitely had it open in case I didn’t like Virginia Tech,” Kadum told the DN-R. “So it was disappointing to hear that, but I have to understand his position this close to signing day.”

The dual-threat quarterback made his official visit to Blacksburg on Friday, deleted his commitment tweet to JMU and announced his intent to play with the Hokies on Saturday night.

Kadum became a last-second addition for Virginia Tech, who had an open roster spot at the quarterback position after former starting quarterback Josh Jackson announced his intent to transfer to another program on Jan. 24. Jackson has yet to officially announce his next destination.

With Kadum off the board, JMU lost its first quarterback signee since redshirt sophomore Gage Moloney, who signed his letter of intent in January 2017. Active quarterbacks on the roster include Moloney, redshirt senior and 2018 starter Ben DiNucci, redshirt juniors Cole Johnson and Alec Kurek, redshirt sophomore Patrick Bentley and redshirt freshman Jake O’Donnell.

The last batch of 2019 recruits will officially sign their letters of intent this Wednesday afternoon. After they sign, Cignetti will address the media at 2:00 p.m.

Contact Blake Pace at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.