JMU men's golf

JMU men’s golf opened its season Friday, teeing off in a three-day event at the Seminole Intercollegiate in Tallahassee, Florida, which drew a competitive field of golfers. 

On the par-72 course, redshirt freshman Neal Shipley led the way for JMU, finishing Friday even. Both senior Walker Cress and redshirt junior Ignacio Montero finished the day three strokes behind Shipley at +3. 

Redshirt sophomores Ignacio De Pineda, 76 (+4), and George Heath, 79 (+7), rounded out the Dukes’ performances on the first day at Golden Eagle Country Club. Among the 85-player field, JMU’s golfers finished between T-21st and T-74th.

Overall, the Dukes finished 13th in a 15-team field with a combined score of 298 among their five golfers in day one’s action. 

On day two, Shipley continued his solid play, improving to a 71 and moving up to T-17th. Heath improved his score considerably by shooting a 72 on Saturday, which bumped his overall score up to third on the team and jumped his tournament placing 13 spots to T-61. 

As a team on Saturday, JMU had a combined score of 292 — a seven stroke improvement — but maintained 13th place heading into Sunday’s tee-off. 

On Sunday, De Pineda finished with the best score of any Duke during the weekend, ending the day two strokes under par and T-44th overall for the tournament. Shipley finished one stroke behind De Pineda on the final day of action while Heath continued his upward trend, finishing T-56th. 

Cress shot a 79 and Montero a 77 on their final day of the tournament; Cress finished T-64th, and Montero finished T-69th. JMU maintained 13th place after shooting a collective 300 on Sunday. 

JMU will be on the green again during the weekend of March 15-16, farther north at River Landing Golf Club in Wallace, North Carolina, for the Seahawk Intercollegiate. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.