JMU tennis

JMU men's tennis fell 6-1 to in-state foe VCU.

JMU men’s tennis couldn’t get past in-state rival VCU on Wednesday. The Rams scraped by to win the doubles point and earned five of six wins in singles, giving them a 6-1 victory over the Dukes.

“I think today we actually played better than we did against Delaware, earlier in the week,” head coach Steve Secord said to JMU Athletics. “I have to give credit to VCU, which is a solid team from top to bottom. We competed well today, and I hope this performance raises our overall level and mentality for future matches.”

Sophomore Alvaro Arce and senior Pierre Kohler started the match by quickly winning 6-2 at the No. 1 doubles spot, but the Rams earned 7-5 wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to jump to a 1-0 lead.

Outside of Kohler winning the No. 1 singles match 7-5, 6-2, VCU swept the Dukes. Junior Damon Roberts fell in a contested battle 7-6 (1), 6-4, senior Philip Mobius took down junior Paul Mendoza 7-5, 6-2 and sophomore Rayane Stable defeated Arce 6-4, 6-1. Sophomore Inigo Torre Martin beat sophomore Gonzalo Adis 6-3, 6-0, then junior Tate Steinour fell to Inaki Rivero Crespo 6-3, 6-2 to round out the evening.

The Dukes fall to 11-5 and face Navy on Saturday in the second of five consecutive road matches. First serve is 2 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more tennis coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.