Mens Soccer (copy)

JMU men's soccer beat Virginia Tech 3-0 to advance to its first Elite Eight appearance since 1995.

For the first time since 1995, JMU men’s soccer has advanced to the NCAA tournament quarterfinals. A 3-0 victory over in-state rival No. 12 Virginia Tech on Sunday kept the Dukes dancing into the Elite Eight.

“It was an amazing result for us,” head coach Paul Zazenski told JMU athletics. “Another shutout, [Bush] and the backline played phenomenally, we put three goals in … Couldn’t be prouder of this group.”

JMU broke the deadlock in the 17th minute, when luck took the side of the Dukes. A cross from junior defender/midfielder Niclas Mohr was deflected by a Hokie defender, sending the ball into the air and fell past the goal-line to make it 1-0.

Five minutes into the second half, redshirt sophomore forward Carson Jeffris doubled the Dukes’ lead. The Fairfax, Virginia, native finished a one-on-one opportunity for his eighth goal of the season.

Just eight minutes later, graduate student midfielder Yannick Franz scored his first goal of the season. A free-kick taken by him was placed in the right corner, making it 3-0.

JMU will take on the Michigan State Spartans in the next round of the tournament. Kick-off time and location is to be determined.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.