TJ Bush

TJ Bush keeps his eyes on the play earlier this season.

JMU men’s soccer defeated Hofstra 2-0 on Saturday night, extending its winning streak to three games. It was also the second straight shutout from the Dukes’ defense and sixth time this season it prevented its opponents from scoring. JMU won its final road game of the regular season, finishing with a 3-2-2 record away from Sentara.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper TJ Bush started in net for the Dukes and saved two shots in his eighth victory of the season. The Pride’s senior goalkeeper Alex Ashton saved five shots but allowed two goals in the contest. JMU outshot Hofstra 14-7, including a margin of 7-2 in shots on goal

The Dukes got on the board in the 43rd minute when redshirt sophomore forward Carson Jeffris netted his fourth goal of the season to make it 1-0, taking a narrow lead into the half. In the 54th minute, JMU increased its lead when junior midfielder Manuel Ferriol scored his fourth goal of the season on a penalty shot. Senior forward Aaron Ward-Baptiste had a game-high three shots on goal.

The Dukes have outscored their opponents 23-8 and outshot them 83-45 this season. With its sixth multi-goal game of the year, JMU pushed its scoring average up to 1.77 goals per game while limiting its opponents to 0.62 per game.

“I thought the guys executed our game plan and dictated the tempo of the match which got us the win,” head coach Paul Zazenski told JMU Athletics.“Hofstra is always a physical site and they play on turf so it always makes for a difficult game.”

With the victory, JMU improves to 8-3-2 (6-1 CAA) and remains atop the conference standings with 18 points on the season. JMU will conclude its regular season with a four-game home stand. The Dukes will look to extend their winning streak to three games against Navy on Wednesday Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. at Sentara Park.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.