Paul Zazenski (copy)

JMU head coach Paul Zazenski led the Dukes to a 15-5-3 (6-2 CAA) record in his first year at the helm

After a successful first season as head coach of JMU men’s soccer, Paul Zazenski signed a five-year contract extension, lasting until 2023. Zazenski was named CAA Coach of the Year after leading the Dukes to a CAA title and quarterfinal appearance in the NCAA tournament.

"First and foremost, I would like to thank Mr. Jeff Bourne, Kevin White, Charlie King and all of the JMU administration for the opportunity to continue leading the JMU men's soccer program for years to come," Zazenski told JMU Athletics. "My family and I have established roots in the city of Harrisonburg and within the JMU community – we truly feel at home.”

JMU went 15-5-3 (6-2-0 CAA) in its triumphant season, winning the CAA regular season title for a second consecutive year and the CAA tournament for the first time since 2014. The NCAA tournament quarterfinal appearance was the program’s first since 1995 and third overall.

“Paul was presented with a unique opportunity under unique circumstances when he took the reins of our men's soccer program in early August," Bourne said to JMU Athletics. "Needless to say, he did a tremendous job pulling the team together and uniting our young men to achieve one of the greatest seasons in JMU soccer history.”

Zazenski will have the chance to continue building on the success of the 2018 season with key players such as junior midfielder Manuel Ferriol, redshirt sophomore forward Carson Jeffris and redshirt sophomore goalkeeper TJ Bush all returning next season.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.