JMU mens soccer

JMU men's soccer hopes to capitalize off of an Elite Eight run in the 2018 NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament. 

The CAA announced its end-of-season honors Friday, awarding nine JMU players spots on all-conference teams and naming Dukes head coach Paul Zazenski the CAA Coach of the Year.

In his first year at the helm, Zazenski guided the Dukes to a second-consecutive CAA regular season title with an 11-4-2 (6-2-0 CAA) record. Under his guide, JMU found itself ranked by the national polls for the first time since 2011, landing at No. 25.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper TJ Bush and graduate student midfielder Yannick Franz were named to the First Team All-CAA. Bush, who’s tied for second in the country with 10 shutouts, and allows just 0.51 goals per game.

Junior midfielders Fernando Casero and Manuel Ferriol and senior defender Thomas Shores achieved Second Team All-CAA. Ferriol is tied for the team’s high in points with 14, boasting five goals and four assists.

For Third Team All-CAA, the Dukes were represented by senior forward Aaron Ward-Baptiste, sophomore defender Thomas Judge and junior defender Brandon Clegg. Ward-Baptiste has five goals and four assists so far this season, while Judge and Clegg have each scored once.

Freshman defender Melker Anshelm, who’s been the recipient of the CAA Rookie of the Week award three times, was named to the All-Rookie team. Anshelm has helped force 10 shutouts this season and scored his first goal against Navy in a 1-0 win for JMU.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.