jmuvswfu

Manuel Ferriol lines up to take a free kick in the 52nd minute of the match.

Saturday, JMU men’s soccer rallied from a three-goal deficit to earn a hard-fought draw at Northeastern, extending its points streak to nine. The last time the Dukes failed to get a point was when they lost 3-1 to Florida International on Aug. 31. 

The No. 16 Dukes found themselves trailing early, as the Huskies scored the first three goals of the match in the first half. However, senior midfielder Manuel Ferriol scored on a penalty in the 44th minute to send JMU into halftime trailing 3-1.

The Dukes controlled the second half. They had the ball in the Huskies’ half for most of the period, and JMU outshot Northeastern 15-4 and scored twice: once in the 63rd minute by sophomore midfielder Jeremy Jaquier and again in the 84th minute by Ferriol to tie up the score. 

Redshirt junior goalkeeper T.J. Bush had four saves, including a crucial one in the 89th minute to keep the match tied. Ferriol also had a career-high 14 shots, the first time he’d broken double-digits in the shot category.

Four Dukes — senior defender/midfielder Niclas Mohr, senior midfielder Fernando Casero, junior defender Thomas Judge and sophomore defender Melker Anshelm — picked up yellow cards, a product of a chippy game that featured 38 total fouls, 19 by each team.

JMU will get back to action on Tuesday at Villanova. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.