jmuvswf9

The Dukes celebrate after scoring a goal off a free kick at the beginning of the second half.

After an upset win over No. 1 Wake Forest, JMU men’s soccer (5-2-0, 2-0-0 CAA) took on Mount St. Mary’s and claimed a 3-0 victory.

JMU’s offense took hold of the match from the start with the help of an early goal by senior midfielder Manuel Ferriol in the sixth minute of the game. The Dukes had continuous offensive pressure, keeping Mount St. Mary’s freshman goalkeeper Riccardo Zonta on high alert.

“Honestly, it’s not important who scores the goal,” Ferriol said. “The important thing is that we win, and it doesn’t matter if it’s Dennis [Mensah] or if it’s the strikers burning out there, the only thing that matters is winning.”

JMU continued to maintain its intensity with five shots on goal, compared to the Mount’s two in the first half following Ferriol’s first goal. However, the number of fouls — eight in total — limited the scoring chances the players received. Near the end of the half, Mount St. Mary’s began to have more attacks, putting pressure on the JMU defense and redshirt junior goalkeeper TJ Bush. 

Bush made his second penalty-kick save in as many matches to begin the second half. However, the Mountaineers’ offense continued to push through the JMU defense, making the game a back-and-forth-matchup. Both teams contained the other within the midfield, making both defensive players work.

“It’s really just making sure they know where the positions they should be are,” Bush said. “We make sure we get into the right pockets so that we can build correctly.”

It didn’t take long for Ferriol to score two more times for the Dukes, taking his goal count for the season to eight. The Mountaineers kept creating chances, but JMU held them off for the rest of the match.

“Manuel is a great attacking player and spends a great amount of time on the defensive side as well,” head coach Paul Zazenski said. “We’re gonna live and die by how he plays a lot of games.”

JMU now holds a five-match winning streak and will take on Longwood on Tuesday in Farmville, Virginia. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. 

Contact Madison Hricik at hricikmn@dukes.jmu.edu. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.