Aaron Ward-Baptiste

Aaron Ward-Baptiste catches a ball off of his chest against William & Mary Wednesday. 

In the second game of its trip to California, JMU men’s soccer fell in overtime to the University of California at Irvine, 2-1. This is the Dukes’ second overtime loss in three games.

After senior forward Aaron Ward-Baptiste put the Dukes ahead in the 51st minute, the Anteaters equalized 10 minutes later. The home side would go on to win in overtime via a goal from senior midfielder Ivan Canales in the 103rd minute.

JMU has played in overtime teach of the past three games — two of which ended in losses and the other a draw. The Dukes will return to Virginia with a 1-2-1 record.

“This trip has taught us a lot about defending late in games,” head coach Paul Zazenski told JMU Athletics. “It hurt us tonight to not have some key guys on the field for various reasons and I think our inexperience showed against a very good Irvine team. We need to take a few days to recover from three straight overtime games and prepare for another tough game against Radford.”

The Dukes will look to get back to their winning ways this Saturday when they host Radford at Sentara Park. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.