JMU mens soccer

JMU men's soccer hopes to capitalize off of an Elite Eight run in the 2018 NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament. 

JMU men’s soccer lost to the Elon Phoenix 1-0 on JMU’s Senior Day on Saturday. The Dukes couldn’t get anything going in the attacking zone for the majority of the match. The matchup overall was a chippy, hard-fought match for both teams.

The match got especially chippy in the second half as five yellow cards were given. If you look at the statistics alone, JMU won most of the statistical categories including shots, but most of those shots were not on goal. Elon’s goal came in the 39th minute when Elon senior midfielder Jack Willbye drilled the ball into the far post and it deflected in off the top corner.

Elon played a park-the-bus style of defense throughout the game, leading to a successful counter attack for the Phoenix. JMU tried to connect on a pass towards the Elon box several times, but Elon closed the gap and came up with the interception. The Dukes played to their style for most of the game, but the Phoenix came up with key play after key play to halt the JMU attack by flying to every pass that the Dukes struck.

The Dukes (11-4-2, 6-2 CAA) still have a chance to win the CAA regular season title outright, but they have to wait to see what the UNCW Seahawks do on Tuesday against Northeastern. The lowest seed that JMU can possess in the tournament is No. 2 seed, but they still can make No. 1 if the Seahawks fall.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.