Manuel Ferriol

Junior midfielder Manuel Ferriol received a red card late in the first extra time period in JMU's game against Air Force.

In a midweek matchup between JMU (7-3-2, 5-1-0 CAA) and in-state rival William & Mary (2-7-2, 0-2-2 CAA), the Dukes came out on top by a slim 1-0 margin. Junior midfielder Manuel Ferriol’s 68th-minute penalty kick lifted JMU to its second consecutive win.

JMU’s win keeps the team in first place of the CAA at 15 points, with second place UNCW close behind with 13 points and one less match played. The Seahawks defeated the Dukes 2-0 earlier in the season.

"It was a great win tonight against an in-state rival,” head coach Paul Zazenski told JMU Athletics. “Credit to William & Mary who had some quality chances, but we found a way to keep a zero. I'm proud of the way our guys continue to play with confidence and effort.”

The Tribe outshot JMU 11-10, but only managed to put four of those shots on target. Redshirt sophomore TJ Bush made four saves throughout the match.

Next up for JMU is another road trip, this time to Hempstead, New York, to take on the Hofstra Pride. Kickoff is Saturday at 7 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.