Nick Schlickenrieder

Freshman Nick Schlickenrieder finished with a career-low, 2-under score on Saturday.

A commanding three-day showing helped lead JMU men’s golf to win the River Run Collegiate hosted by Davidson University. Multiple Dukes made key impacts from their play on the greens to lead them to their success, including senior Walker Cress, who earned his first individual victory.

“I'm extremely proud of our guys today. They had a target on their backs and came out focused on finishing off the win today,” JMU Men’s Golf Coach Jeff Forbes said to JMU Athletics on Tuesday. “They had tougher conditions today than yesterday, but to battle through that and actually add to their winning margin shows the kind of toughness we'll need this year.” 

Cress and junior Ignacio Montero had impressive outings Monday by getting to the top five in the tournament. Cress ended the day under par with 18 birdies, putting him in second place in the tournament, three strokes behind the leader of the competition. Montero was close behind in third by only 2 strokes.

The Dukes ended Monday with an 11-shot lead over second place Charlotte. This was led by team scores of 282 (-6) and 281 (-7) through day one of the tournament, being the second and third lowest scores of 15 teams.

“I'm happy with the way we opened things today and put ourselves in a good position going to the final round,” Coach Jeff Forbes said to JMU Athletics on Monday. “We just need to come out with that same focus tomorrow morning.”

On day two, the Dukes grew an even larger lead, extending it to 22 shots. Cress helped toward this large lead in a crucial way, ending the day at 69 (-3) with the help from Montero with 73 (+1) and JMU sophomore George Heath with 71 (-1).

The Dukes will be back in business in two weeks when they head to the Health Plan Invitational held by West Virginia University.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more golf coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.