Nick Schlickenrieder

Freshman Nick Schlickenrieder finished with a career-low, 2-under score on Saturday.

JMU men’s golf finished fourth out of 15 teams in the Health Plan Mountaineer Invitational tournament in Bridgeport, West Virginia. The tournament lasted two days, with JMU remaining in the top five throughout the tournament.

The Dukes had five members playing, three of which were under par (72),including senior Walter Cress (69), freshman Neal Shipley (71) and sophomore Nick Schlickenrieder (70). Both junior Ignacio Montero and sophomore George Heath came in close over par, with scores of 77 and 73, respectively. 

Cress maintained a strong performance throughout the tournament, tying for the lowest final round in the 81-player tournament. He was able to record four birdies and only a single bogey, placing him tenth overall with a score of 218.

Schlickenreider improved from an even-par record from day one to a 16th overall position, carding at two under (222). Finally, Shipley had his best day of the tournament with a tie for 31st overall (227).

The team played a total of three rounds, ending with a total of 886 points (+22). After a sixth place finish on Monday, the Dukes were able to rally together and bring up their position to a respectable fourth. 

"I was happy with the way the guys came out today with a new attitude and posted the best number in the field.” head coach Jeff Forbes said to JMU Athletics. (https://jmusports.com/news/2019/10/8/mens-golf-dukes-close-strong-to-take-fourth-at-mountaineer-invitational.aspx) “We still felt like we left a couple strokes out there that could have moved us up, but we're looking forward to getting back to work for next week's tournament."

Each round, the Dukes were able to lower their stroke count from 305 in round one, 298 in round two and 283 in round three round. However, their efforts weren’t able to top Southern Mississippi, who took the third spot by only one stroke. 

The Dukes will head to Duluth, Georgia, on October 14th for the Autotrader Collegiate Classic for another two-day tournament.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more men’s golf coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.