JMU men's basketball

JMU men's basketball players stand for the national anthem prior to Saturday's game.

UPDATE (Feb. 10 at 7 p.m.): JMU men's basketball rescheduled its game against UNCW for Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. According to the program's announcement, all fans will receive free admittance into Tuesday's game. The Dukes travel to North Carolina to challenge Elon on Feb. 26 at 7 p.m., which means all postponed contests will be made up. 

The JMU men’s basketball program postponed both Thursday’s game at home against UNCW and Saturday’s away game at Elon after multiple cases of mumps have affected the team. The school announced the decision was made to protect the student-athletes, opposing teams and staff.

“Within the JMU coaching staff, there was one probable case of mumps in an individual who has since recovered,” JMU athletics communication said. “Three other individuals have been identified as suspected cases of mumps with no confirmed diagnosis at this time. At this point, there is one possible case affecting a student-athlete. Confirmatory testing has been initiated. As a precaution, all student-athletes and associated personnel related to both men’s and women’s JMU basketball programs have received MMR booster injections.”

The dates that the program will reschedule these games has yet to be decided. The team is set to play again next Thursday at home against the College of Charleston.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.