Matt Lewis UVA.jpg

JMU men's basketball junior guard Matt Lewis had 14 points and 10 rebounds against Virginia. 

On Sunday, Morgan State closed the game on a 14-2 run to defeat JMU men’s basketball, 80-73. The Dukes drop to 3-4 on the season. 

The game was close right from the opening tip. The first half featured several ties and lead changes, as neither team seemed to gain an advantage. The largest lead was 11, when Morgan State junior guard De’Torrion Ware hit a 3-pointer with 10 and a half minutes left in the first period to open up a 27-16 lead. 

JMU countered with a hot stretch, closing the half on a 22-8 run to take a 38-35 lead into halftime. Senior guard Matt Lewis scored 15 points in the first half for the Dukes.

JMU started the second half strong, scoring 10 points in the first three and a half minutes to take a 48-39 lead with 16:27 left in the game. That was the biggest the lead would get for the Dukes, and the Bears slowly crept their way back. Morgan State junior guard Moel Camara hit a 3-pointer with 1:41 left to give the Bears a 73-71 lead, and it’d never relinquish it. 

Lewis, despite leading JMU with 21 points, went 1-for-7 on 3-pointers. The Dukes missed several opportunities, going 14-for-24 from the free throw line and turning the ball over 18 times. 

Next up, JMU will welcome FAU to Harrisonburg on Tuesday. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.