JMU UVA 20 (copy)

Matt Lewis was one of three JMU players to record double-digit points.

Last year, JMU men’s basketball defeated a Radford team that was receiving votes in the AP Top 25. On Wednesday, the Highlanders avenged that loss in commanding fashion, crushing the Dukes by 23 points while shooting 50% from the floor and 40% from the field.

The opening minutes of the game were close — JMU held a three-point lead at the 15:39 mark — but Radford quickly took over. The Highlanders shot 60.6% from the floor and made five 3-pointers in the first 20 minutes to take a 52-32 lead into halftime.

Radford kept the foot on the gas pedal in the second half. The Highlanders’ lead expanded to as much as 28, and they never let JMU close the deficit. 

Almost all of the Dukes’ scoring came from their starters, with the bench scoring only 13 points. Junior guard Matt Lewis, junior forward Dwight Wilson and freshman forward Michael Christmas all scored in double figures. Redshirt junior guard Carlik Jones led Radford with 23 points, which had four other players score at least 10 points.

The Dukes fall to 5-4 on the season, including a 1-3 record on the road. JMU returns to action Dec. 16 at home versus Charleston Southern. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.