jmumbbvscharleston06.JPG

James Madison guard Matt Lewis (1) tries to shake the opponent.

Delaware redshirt junior guard Nate Darling made a layup with five seconds to go in the game to give the Blue Hens the win over JMU men’s basketball Saturday. The Dukes fell, 80-78.

The game was close from the start. Neither side led by more than five points in the first half, and the Dukes entered halftime trailing by one. JMU had six turnovers in the first half but kept it close because it shot 90% from the free throw line.

The second half played out much like the first. The Dukes took the lead with under 16 minutes to go but couldn’t build on it before Delaware clawed back followed by Darling’s go-ahead layup. 

JMU sophomore guard Deshon Parker and junior guard Matt Lewis led the Dukes with 23 and 21 points, respectively. Parker missed a last-second layup that would’ve tied the game and sent it to overtime. 

The teams were close statistically, but the Blue Hens had a big advantage in free throws. They made 24 while JMU made 15. Darling led Delaware with 27 points, and junior guard Kevin Anderson added 21 for the Blue Hens. 

With the loss, JMU falls to 9-15 (2-11 CAA) and 3-9 on the road. Next, the Dukes play at home versus Towson on Saturday; tipoff is set for 8 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.