Stuckey Mosley

Stuckey Mosley drives past the Northeastern defender earlier this season.

JMU men’s basketball lost Thursday night, falling 76-60 to the Northeastern Huskies. It was Dukes’ ninth loss out of the last 10 games away from the Convocation Center.

Northeastern started the game strong. It began the game on a 13-2 run and holding the Dukes without a made basket for the first six and a half minutes of the game. After the Huskies stretched the lead out to 23-5 with 10:30 remaining, JMU slowly began working its way back into the game. It ended the half on a 9-1 run, closing the margin to 33-26 at the half.

Despite JMU’s late efforts before halftime, Northeastern controlled the second half. After the Dukes closed the gap to one early in the half, the Huskies dominated the rest of the game. They stretched the lead out to as much as 21 with three minutes left in the game. Northeastern senior center Anthony Green controlled the glass in the game, pulling down 10 rebounds to go along with 17 points, while redshirt senior guard Vasa Pusica had 13 second-half points en route to putting the Dukes away.

"On the road and against a team as good as Northeastern, you can't put yourself in a hole like we did tonight,” head coach Louis Rowe told JMU Athletics. “I'm proud of the way we battled back against a team this experienced, but to put yourself in that position takes a lot out of you. We still need to come out with a full 40 minutes to win these kinds of games in the league."

Freshman guard Deshon Parker led the Dukes with 17 points. Sophomore forward Greg Jones fouled out in 17 minutes and scored zero points, and sophomore guard Darius Banks was reportedly out with an illness.

With the loss, JMU falls to 12-16 (5-10 CAA) on the season. Next up for the Dukes is a road battle with the first-place Hofstra Pride on Thursday. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.