Byington_Mark.jpg

Mark Byington was announced as JMU men's basketball's head coach in March. 

JMU men’s basketball head coach Mark Byington tweeted Monday evening teasing a new announcement. This morning, the announcement of five new coaches for JMU was made by the head coach Byington and JMU Athletics.

Byington hired his fellow colleague at Georgia Southern Andrew Wilson, Xavier Joyner and Jon Cremins as assistant coaches for the team. Byington and Wilson have coached together for the last seven years, with Cremins joining for the last two seasons. The three coaches led Georgia Southern to consecutive 20-win-seasons.

Also joining the new staff is Keith Chesley, who will take over as the Director of Basketball Operations. Chesley and Byington also worked together last season, and Chesley was the director for Stetson during the 2018-19 season. 

An alumni from University of Maine at Augusta and Florida State, Chesley earned a masters degree in sports communication at Florida and was a two-time All American at Maine before beginning his career working on coaching staffs.

Finally, Calvin Baker was the newest Director of Player Development and Recruitment. Baker spent this past season as the assistant coach at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore and was with Paul IV Catholic High School in Fairfax, Virginia, for recruiting, scouting and player development. 

"I am really excited about the staff we've put together from hundreds of potential coaches that expressed interest in James Madison," Byington said to JMU Athletics. "I wanted to build a balanced staff with coaches who will be excellent mentors and teachers while having familiarity with the Mid-Atlantic region.“

The new staff members will begin their season with the opening of Atlantic Bank Union Arena, with the season geared to begin in November. The full schedule has yet to be revealed.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.