Maddie McDaniel

Struggling with one of UVA's defenders, Maddie McDaniel pushes toward the goal in the hopes of scoring.

Junior attacker Maddie McDaniel scored with five seconds left in the second overtime period to give JMU lacrosse (12-3, 4-0 CAA) a hard-fought 9-8 victory over Hofstra. It was the Dukes’ fifth-straight victory and their first overtime win of the season.

JMU found itself trailing late in regulation, but three straight goals made it 8-7 with just over four minutes remaining. However, a free-position goal by Hofstra sophomore midfielder Arianna Esposito with 26 seconds remaining tied up the score and sent the game to overtime.

The Dukes struggled offensively for the majority of the game. After putting up 19 goals on 25 shots on goal and dominating the draw controls in their game versus Drexel, they had 18 shots on goal and lost the draw-control battle 12 to nine against the Pride.

The defense stepped up for JMU when it needed to. It was the 11th time it had given up less than 10 goals — including all four CAA games — and the Dukes have won all 11 games. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Molly Dougherty saved 16 shots, including a few big ones in the overtime periods.

JMU got two goals apiece from McDaniel, senior attacker Hanna Haven and sophomore attacker Katie Checkovsky. With her two goals on the day, McDaniel extended her streak of having scored in every game this season. JMU plays next on Friday at home against Elon.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more lacrosse coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.