042218_Cockburn_WLAX (4 of 8).jpg (copy) (copy)

Coach Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe is entering her 13th season has JMU lacrosse's head coach.

On Friday, Stony Brook senior attacker Nicole Barretta scored in overtime against JMU lacrosse to win the game 10-9 and end the Dukes’ season. The Seawolves advance to play No. 1 Maryland on Sunday.

The game, which was delayed for an hour prior to the opening draw due to lightning in the area, was close the entire time. There were four lead changes, and neither team led by more than three goals. Junior attacker Logan Brennan tied the game up at nine with 1:28 left to send the game into overtime.

It was the fewest goals JMU had given up in a loss this season. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Molly Dougherty saved 11 shots. The Dukes’ offense had 12 shots on goal that were saved by Stony Brook senior goalkeeper Anna Tesoriero.

Junior attacker Maddie McDaniel tied a career-high tally with four goals, and scored in every game this season. Senior attacker Hanna Haven and Brennan added two goals apiece.

The loss was the final collegiate game for several Dukes, including Haven and defenders Caroline Sdanowich and Natalie Fuccillo. JMU finishes the season with a record of 16-4.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more lacrosse coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.